Saturday, February 9, 2008

Penitential Rite and Lent

Lent started last Wednesday (Ash Wednesday) and will continue until Easter. I’ve been thinking a lot lately, especially when I’m running, about the Penitential Rite. PR is repeated at the start of each mass. Sometimes, we become so accustomed to words we say often, we fail to appreciate their meaning. I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’d started to treat this very important part of mass almost as an afterthought. Here is the Penitential Rite:

I confess to almighty God
and to you my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

What wonderful words. We publicly admit to God and our brothers and sisters that we’ve sinned. No one is perfect; sin is a part of our life and must be acknowledged and forgiven. Most people wouldn’t argue that they have sinned through their own fault, but do they appreciate that we can sin through our thoughts and our words? Again, most folks would accept that sin is in what I have done, but do they realize we can also sin in what we’ve failed to do? For instance, if you know someone who needs your help or assistance and you fail to help them, haven’t you sinned? The ending is the best part. We ask Mary, all the angels and saints and our brothers and sisters to pray for us. How many of us really take the time to pray for others? Wouldn’t not praying for others, especially after they've publicly asked for those prayers be a sin “in what I’ve failed to do?

Again, while this had almost become habit to repeat this during mass, it’s important to take a little time and contemplate what it means and how it applies to our day-to-day lives and then apply it when appropriate. While repeating the Penitential Rite doesn't equate to confession, it certainly sets the tone for the entire mass.


0 comments: